So the weird Daily Mail press war continues? There is a new article in the DM about how there are three people in Prince William and Kate Middleton‘s marriage: Will, Kate, and Carole Middleton. My first thought: At least it’s not Jecca Craig, amirite, Kate?
This article was posted in the comments of the last post and some of you guys already commented on it, so i hope you don’t mind I’m making it it’s own post (as suggested, thanks Red Snapper!). I’m going hearkening back to an old format I haven’t used in a while with bullet point italicized quotes and then I’ll give my own commentary separated by a ‘–‘. I’m excerpting quite a bit here.
- “Slightly distrustful (even of staff), a little introverted, family-minded and determined to be good parents, Kate and William have, according to one source, formed ‘an insular unit’ with her parents ‘in which they are quite happy with a quiet life with each other’.” — My god William needs to get over his crippling distrust of people.
- “‘Indeed,’ adds the source, ‘You could say that Kate and William, unlike most couples with a set of in-laws, feel most at their ease and happiest with her parents around. Tensions dissipate and there’s a party atmosphere.’” — So basically, Will and Kate don’t like being alone together?
- “So close are Carole, Kate and William that another source says: ‘There are three people in that marriage, a result of Kate feeling quite ill at the beginning of this pregnancy and exhausted all the way through. She has relied on Carole.” — LOL
- “‘If the Middletons have hijacked the Cambridges, then one can only say that William rather likes it.’ Carole, apparently, knows never to overstep the mark. ‘For her, William is still royal and slightly on a pedestal. She’ll gently back his view over Kate’s all the time,’ says a source. In this way she’s never alienated herself.” — Yep, that sounds about right. Horrible for Kate, but about right. Carole treats William like a king and never crosses him, just how he likes it.
- “‘Kate and William can be grand, of course, but they love it when Carole brings them cheese on toast or perhaps something less calorific for Kate in front of Downton Abbey,’ says a source. ‘She helps with every decision, from what tie William should wear to an engagement to what curtains the new nursery at Anmer Hall should have. Kate is a perfectionist but is too tired to keep it up while pregnant and trusts her mother’s taste — she learned everything from her.’” — It sounds like Will and Kate like being treated like five year olds, and Carole is happy to oblige.
- The article talks about specific wallpaper and linens Carole has been seen buying, then tries to suggest that Kate is having a girl (and that they know they are having a girl), because Carole has been buying floral patterns, and there is a rumor Pippa gave Kate an all-pink baby shower. — Ugh to the whole girl thing, but also, what is Kate shopping for all the times she goes shopping if Carole is the one doing all the nursery furnishing for her?
- “Carole and Michael’s importance in the Cambridges’ life is such that they have even stepped in to fill the void of what might be William and Kate’s social life. Apart from the odd royal engagement, they live a very quiet existence, rarely seeing friends or even — as has been noted recently — Prince Charles. Even Zara Phillips, George’s godmother, has not seen them often. Her baby, Mia, hasn’t had playdates with Prince George, as might have been expected.” — So Will and Kate pretty much only hang out with Carole and Mike? My god, that sounds horrible.
- “‘[William] is in thrall to [Carole’s] capabilities, her tenacity, high-energy levels, her superb organisational skills and her networking,’ says a source.” — Does William like Carole more than Kate?
- “After the birth, she will be in residence at Anmer for about six weeks and Michael will be on hand for most of that time, too.” — Not surprising. As one article said last time, for this baby instead of Kate running to Carole’s, Carole is running to Kate’s.
- “Carole will also be the steely gatekeeper for guests after the birth and, no matter how royal, they will be allowed in only when Kate is neither feeding nor resting and feels up to the company.” — I bet Carole is loving all the power William has given her.
- “‘The Cambridges and their children will be living secluded lives [at Anmer], screened behind all those newly-planted tall trees, with a battery of close protection officers on duty round the clock and all visitors closely monitored.’” — It sounds like they are locking themselves in a very lavish prison, protecting them from the peasants, photographers, and royal duties.
These quotes are oddly specific. And I can’t tell whether they are trying to vilify or canonize Carole. Or whether they are specifically meant to point out how Will and Kate like being treated like children. Because more than saying anything about Carole, these quotes tell a lot about Will and Kate. Like they really like being treated like children, don’t really get along with each other when alone, like not having responsibilities for their own lives let alone their children’s, are terrified of dealing with the outside world and other people, and want to run away and hide in their Secret Garden.
As always, we need to be suspect of these quotes. Where did they come from, why did that “source” leak these quotes, if the DM is making them up then what is the purpose behind that, etc. Given the back and forth between vilifying Carole and talking her up, I have no idea what the purpose of all these DM articles is. Is the DM trying to vilify Carole, is the DM trying to paint Carole as a hero in Will and Kate’s lives, is the DM trying to point out how terrible Will and Kate seem to be? The previous articles seemed to focus on Carole and/or William’s relationship with Charles, but this article seems, more than anything, to paint Will and Kate as two childish idiots who can’t handle their own lives. At least that’s my takeaway. Could it be that the DM is testing the waters to see whether or not the public is ready for a Will and Kate takedown?
I don’t know how big a grain of salt we should take these quotes with, but this weird DM press war sure is interesting to watch.
What do you guys think of this stuff? Did you get the same feeling about Will and Kate from this article that I did?