The poll results are in! As voted by you, here are Kate Middleton‘s best dresses, coats, gowns, separates, and hats of 2014.
I want to mention one of the reasons I included the April tour outfits in the voting categories, even though we already voted for them before: I think Kate’s top pieces of 2014 came from the tour. And it seems I’m not alone in that thought. Out of the five categories, three of the winners were pieces debuted during the April tour.
The winners are: LK Bennett “Lasa” blue & white poppy dress; Alexander McQueen dove grey coat and dress; Jenny Packham “Ink Blue Silk Dress”; Alexander McQueen light pink shirt and skirt; Jane Taylor cream and pink hat with flower ruffle.
Kate’s favorite designer in 2014 was Alexander McQueen. Kate wore McQueen 10 different times** – three times more than any other designer. Kate’s favorite color to wear in 2014 was blue. Kate wore blue 14 different times**. The runner-up color was black – worn 10 different times**.
**I’m counting the different individual pieces here, these numbers would be higher if I counted every time she repeated a piece.
Below are the top 3 in each category. I’m throwing in a look at Kate’s best handbag and jewelry at the end. Kate is so boring in her handbag, jewelry, and shoes that they didn’t warrant their own polls. But Kate did carry one interesting clutch in 2014, and she did have two instances of memorable jewelry.
Top 3 Favorite Kate Dresses of 2014:
1) LK Bennett “Lasa” blue & white poppy dress (21.94%)
2) LK Bennett “Detroit” snorkel blue dress with built in lapels (8.67%)
2) Roksanda Ilincic bespoke “Lovina” coffee-colored dress (8.67%)
Top 3 Favorite Kate Coats of 2014:
1) Alexander McQueen dove grey coat and dress (24.73%)
2) Seraphine Maternity bespoke “Marina” coat in plum (10.75%)
3) Alexander McQueen cream coatdress (8.6%)
Top 3 Favorite Kate Gowns of 2014:
1) Jenny Packham “Ink Blue Silk Dress” (45.45%)
2) Diane von Furstenberg black lace “Zarita” gown (41.48%)
3) Jenny Packham ice blue slit dress with modesty skirt (13.07%)
Top 3 Favorite Kate Separates of 2014:
1) Alexander McQueen light pink shirt and skirt (35.26%)
2) Alexander McQueen ice blue skirt suit (21.39%)
3) Luisa Spagnoli red skirt suit (19.08%)
Top 3 Favorite Kate Hats of 2014:
1) Jane Taylor cream and pink hat with flower ruffle (19.63%)
2) Jane Taylor grey hat with ribbon (15.95%)
3) Lock & Company “Betty Boop” brown pillbox hat (12.27%)
The only interesting clutch Kate carried in 2014 was a repeat of her Anya Hindmarch fan clutch she debuted in 2011 – carried to watch a match at Wimbledon in July. I love this clutch.
Kate’s jewelry game is severely lacking, but she did wear two pieces of note in 2014. First, she borrowed the Queen’s Nizam of Hyderabad necklace for the National Portrait Gallery’s Portrait Gala in February. Second, Kate debuted a new set of emerald and diamond earrings and bracelet that were supposedly a private wedding gift at the St. Andrews Gala in December.
Honestly, other than a few standouts, Kate had a really boring year in fashion in 2014. Here’s hoping she steps it up in 2015… and for the love of god don’t wear red to leave the hospital!