This is our final poll on Kate Middleton‘s 2016 fashion, and our final 2016 in Review. Quick stats: Kate wore 35 dresses in 2016 – 29 of them were new while only 6 of them were repeats from previous years. Since this post is going to get long, let’s jump right in.
1) Alexander McQueen bespoke pre-fall 2016 collection – For her arrival at the Taj Palace Hotel and the wreath laying ceremony to kick off her tour of India on April 10, Kate wore this new bespoke McQueen dress based on the pre-fall 2016 collection.
2) LK Bennett Eugenia Skirted Dress – On August 25, for an unannounced visit to YoungMinds in connection with their Heads Together campaign, Kate chose this new red LK Bennett dress.
3) Alexander McQueen bespoke Resort 2017 dress – On her second day in Canada on September 25, Kate chose another new bespoke McQueen, this one based on the Resort 2017 collection.
4) Preen red ‘Finella’ dress – Kate debuted two of this Preen Finella dress in 2016, the first being this red number she wore during the Canada tour on September 26.
5) Alexander McQueen bespoke poppy print dress – This new McQueen bespoke poppy print dress got trotted out to three events, although they were all done on the same day, October 18: Team GB BP reception; Meeting with BBC Radio 1 Teen Heroes; ITV DofE documentary.
6) Topshop ‘Embroidered Smock Dress’ – After going on safari in India on April 13, Kate fed baby elephants in this new Topshop dress.
7) Alexander McQueen pink wool cashmere peplum dress – This repeated McQueen dress was originally put into the ‘separates’ category when it was included in the 2014 year end polls, but since then we’ve learned it is in fact a dress, which means it gets included in the dress poll now after Kate repeated it to view her Vogue portraits at the National Portrait Gallery on May 4.
8) Lela Rose ‘Double Faced Twill Elbow Sleeve Dress’ – For her first day in Cornwall on September 1, Kate chose this new Lela Rose dress.
9) Kate Spade ‘Encore Rose Chiffon Dress’ – For World Mental Health Day on October 10, Kate went pink and floral in this new dress.
10) Roksanda Ilincic bespoke yellow ‘Ryedale’ dress – Kate made two appearances at Wimbledon in 2016, the first was on July 7 when she wore this repeated yellow dress.
11) Dolce & Gabbana bespoke ‘Pocket watch-appliqué crepe midi dress’ – Kate wore this new bespoke dress for several engagements in Canada on September 27.
12) Temperley London ‘Desdemona Lace Dress’ in jade – For a meeting with the Prime Minister of India on April 12, Kate wore this new dress from Temperley.
13) Naeem Khan blue and white dress – For her attempt at an iconic photo at the Taj Mahal on April 16, Kate chose this new blue and white dress from Naeem Khan.
14) LK Bennett ‘Addison Printed Silk Dress’ – After getting back from India, Kate (along with William and Harry) hosted President and First Lady Obama at Kensington Palace on April 22. Kate chose a new blue dress from LK Bennett for the occasion.
15) Roksanda Ilincic ‘Blue Marwood Color-block Wool-crepe Dress’ – To The Patron’s Lunch on June 12, as part of HM’s 90th birthday celebrations, Kate wore this new color-block dress from Roksanda.
16) Stella McCartney ‘Ridley’ dress – Kate has worn this Stella McCartney dress so many times over the years, and to Prince George’s first engagement in UK soil at the Air Show on July 8, Kate wore it yet again.
17) LK Bennett blue Lasa poppy print dress – Kate repeated this LK Bennett dress for engagements in Luton on August 24.
18) Altuzarra Aimee Polka-Dot Button-Front Dress in Blue – This Altuzarra dress made its debut on September 16 at an event at Stewards Academy for Heads Together.
19) Jenny Packham blue dress – For her triumphant return to Canada on September 24, Kate chose a new bespoke dress by Jenny Packham.
20) LK Bennett Cersei Dress – Kate visited the NHM for Place2Be on November 22 in a new LK Bennett dress.
21) Roksanda Ilincic ‘Peridot’ dress – For a visit to the Anna Freud Centre on May 4, Kate chose to repeat a Roksanda dress.
22) Emilia Wickstead ‘Wool-Crepe Midi Dress’ – Kate’s second day in India on April 11 saw Kate debut this Emilia Wickstead dress.
23) Dolce & Gabbana ‘Cotton-blend lace dress’ – This lace dress made its debut at the Royal Windsor Horse Show on May 15 under a coat, but we didn’t get a good look at it until June 15 when Kate wore it to Royal Acsot.
24) Alexander McQueen cream ruffled dress – I was surprised when Kate repeated this dress since this is the dress she wore to Prince George’s Christening and I assumed it would be too “iconic” for her to repeat. But repeat she did, on May 25 to a Buckingham Palace Garden Party.
25) Barbara Casasola off-the-shoulder white dress – Kate went a bit more daring than she usually does (with her coats buttoned up to her throat) when she wore this new off-the-shoulder dress to the Museum of the Year Awards on July 6.
26) See by Chloé ‘Pointelle-knit cotton-blend dress’ in Ivory – Kate wore this new cream dress to the children’s garden party in Canada on September 29.
27) Jonathan Saunders black swallow print dress – Kate so rarely takes of her coat when she does engagements, but on March 10 during engagements related to male suicide Kate took off her Erdem coat to reveal this new black print dress.
28) Tory Burch ‘Sophia’ Print A-Line Dress – On June 14, William and Kate stopped by the US Embassy in London to sign the book of condolence for the victims of the Pulse Orlando shooting. Instead of repeating one of her myriad of black dresses, Kate chose a new Tory Burch dress for the occasion.
29) Preen black ‘Finella’ dress – The second of Kate’s two Finella dresses was this black dress she debuted at the Place2Be Awards on November 22.
30) Jenny Packham bespoke lace dress with peter pan collar – When Kate debuted this dress at the Somme 100 event on July 1, KP said it was by a “private dressmaker”, but given that this dress is so similar to the Jenny Packham dress Kate wore on arrival in Canada, it is assumed that this is also Jenny Packham. The lace is from Sophie Hallette, a French textile house which made the lace for Kate’s wedding dress.
31) Anita Dongre ‘Gulrukh Tunic Dress’ – For a couple events on April 10 in India, Kate wore this new colorful dress from Indian designer Anita Dongre.
32) Glamorous maxi dress – While in India on April 12, Kate wore this new maxi dress.
33) Anna Sui ‘Printed crinkled silk-chiffon and twill maxi dress’ – Kate debuted this dress in India on April 12. Oddly enough, this dress worn in India “pays tribute to mid-century Scandinavian style”.
34) Alexander McQueen bespoke ‘Obsession-Print Short-Sleeve Silk Dress, Ivory’ – For her second trip to Wimbledon in 2016, Kate wore this new bespoke McQueen printed dress.
35) Vanessa Seward ‘Cai floral-print silk-jacquard dress’ – Kate’s final debut of 2016 was this Vanessa Seward dress she wore to The Mix Christmas Party with Heads Together on December 19.